September 2016: I stopped iOS development and removed all apps from the App Store.
Here is a list of the most frequently asked questions (FAQ). Please read these if you are having problems. If reading the questions do not help and you are still having problems, please contact the Support.
FAQ : Top
I know Mr. Reader is iPad only. Do you have plans for making an iPhone, Apple Watch, Apple TV, Android, Mac, Windows, Blackberry, etc. app of Mr. Reader?
How can I add an additional sync service account and switch between them?
Press the "+" button in this dialog to add an additional account.
Which RSS sync services are supported?
It loses all settings/themes when adding an additional account? Is this a bug?
Why does my used theme look strange after the update to Mr. Reader v3.0?
FAQ : Sharing Menu
You mentioned that the service 'xyz' (Instapaper, Twitter, Evernote, etc.) is supported, but it is not available in the sharing menu. How can I add it?
- Open the Mr. Reader settings and tap on "Services".
- On top are your currently used services (shown in the sharing menu), and at bottom the unused services (not shown in the sharing menu).
- Now use drag and drop - on the handle with the 3 lines (right side) - to move your services from the bottom list to the list at top.
Could you please add my beloved Browser 'xyz' (Google Chrome, Diigo Browser, Puffin, Terra, etc.) to the sharing menu?
Could you please add the app 'xyz' (Blogsy, Poster, Catch, Appigo's TODO, etc.) to the sharing menu?
Can you add the service 'xyz' to the sharing menu?
Some more installable services can be found here: 3rd Party Browsers and 3rd Party Apps.
If it is really not supported, then please send me an mail and I'll see what I can do.
Can you add services like Springpad with a Mail integration to the sharing menu?
Problem creating a markdown formatted link in a URL scheme template?
Is it possible to use Browser bookmarklets?
FAQ : General
Can you add a way to display the 'alt' text of comic images?
What does the lock icon that appears in the article view at the top mean?
How can I remove the Readability & Pocket tabs from the article view? I'd like to only have RSS, Web & Instapaper?
How do I use the Thumbpad in the article viewer?
Can I change the Thumbpad buttons arrangement? I want the Thumbpads close button to be in the mid.
What is the difference between setting the preferred article view manually or to last used?
"Set Manually": You have to press the lock icon besides the Pocket button to set the current view (RSS, Web, Instapaper, Readability, Pocket) as your preferred one. The lock icon gets displayed only when the current view is not your preferred view.
Can I view the article content in full screen?
Can I mark items as read that are older than 2 days?
Can I mark items as read that are above the current reading position?
How to close the article view?
How to rename a Folder, Feed or Tag?
How to delete a Folder, Feed or Tag?
Can I jump from an article in the table to it's feed?
How to subscribe to a feed?
Can I cancel the offline image download?
Can I delete all downloaded images for offline reading?
How to create a new folder?
How to create a new tag?
FAQ : Aol Reader
Invalid response error during synchronization?
FAQ : Feedly
The sort order of categories is different and how to reorder them?
There is no tagging?
It crashes during the synchronization with Feedly?
FAQ : Feed Wrangler
How to create a new Smart Stream?
On login I get the message "subscription expired". Can you help?
FAQ : Fever
You updated to Fever v1.32 (2014/01/16) and mark as read does no longer work?
- Tap on your username (top left beside the "+" button) to open the accounts management dialog
- Edit your Fever account
- Just tap on "Login"
- Now try it again
There is no feed and folder management functionality?
How to start a server refresh from Mr. Reader?
Why does it not synchronize with the Fever plugin for Tiny Tiny RSS?
FAQ : Errors & Problems
- Which iPad do you use?
- Which Mr. Reader version do you use?
- Which iOS Version do you use?
- Which RSS sync service do you use?
- Are you able to reproduce the crash? How?
- Is your iPad jailbroken? Does it also crash when you disable all of your installed tweaks/hacks?
- Send me the latest crash report of Mr. Reader. This can be found in iOS Settings -> Privacy -> Diagnostic & Usage -> Diagnostic & Usage Data. (You must use copy&paste to send it to me by mail)
Do you see the 'Database Upgrade' dialog on every start?
Sorry, but the only way to get it back running is to delete and re-install it.
FAQ : Theme Editor
The Theme Editor is well hidden, where can I find it?
Why is the Theme Editor web based and not inside the app?
1. when you have created new icons - for example in Photoshop - and you wan't to see how they look like in Mr. Reader. It's much easier to drag those images to the upload field on the theme editor web page and see them immediately in Mr. Reader.
2. the dialog to modify the colors will always be in the way and overlap that part I want to change. It's much faster to do it on the theme editor web page and to see every adjustment in the color chooser in "real time" on the iPad.
3. When you use the same colors at different places, it's still more comfortable to use copy&paste on a Mac or PC than on the iPad. Also you have a much better overview about your theme adjustments on the larger screen.
Why did you create this Theme Editor instead of adding my most missing feature?
It took me about 1 month to create those 4 existing themes in code. Creating the Theme Editor only one week, and now a new theme can be created in seconds, minutes or hours (for example when you create new icons).
This saves me a lot of time (support & creating a additional theme), and now I can invest it in implementing your feature request. I hope you understand my decision. Thanks!